Sunday, November 9, 2014

52




Everyone has Timehop for their Facebook these days, and it’s great because you can glance backwards in time to that exact day and see what you were doing- one, two, three, even seven years ago, as far as your social media capsule will reach.  An amazing, fun use of technology.  I, however, am afraid to glance onto the app these days, because I most certainly know what was going on last year.  I was watching Beydn struggle to live; he fought so hard. He displayed more courage than I will have in ten lifetimes, and he lost his battle.  November was the start of it, the month he was diagnosed. Optimism was high and worry was rampant but we all knew he was going to beat T Cell ALL.  Looking back, I was a fool and didn’t have an understanding of what he faced.  I simply read the statistics and had unwavering confidence that every bump in the road was a step toward remission, being cured and living a normal life.  Had I known then what I know now I would’ve crawled into bed with him every second.   I would have cried on his shoulder and would’ve hugged him enough to make up for the 71 years of life he would lose. 

The problem is as a cancer parent you learn these things- you can never hug your kids enough and crying will always be there.  He didn’t want me to crawl into his bed with him.  He was, after all, almost 11, and at that age where he was too cool, but dammit I would’ve stayed awake 24/7 just to stare at him while he slept.  All of these could haves, should haves and would haves will never go away, but what can go away is the disease that killed him, the disease that will kill many more.  See, the most horrible thing was Beydn beat Leukemia.  On December 7th his tests came back clear and in remission.  The problem was his lack of immunity made him susceptible to anything and everything.  He died from a non-treatable mold fungus named SCEDOSPORIUM.  We tried for three weeks with every anti-fungal drug available and nothing happened.  In the end these fungal infections will kill many more kids, unless we make sure that they are eradicated.  This enemy and killer of kids needs to be wiped clean from the planet, and we can do this but it will take everyone’s help.  I promised Beydn in his hospital room on February 22nd, between tears, that I would fix this the way he fixed me, the way he saved me.  I will spend the rest of my life finding a way to save as many kids as possible because in the end that’s what Beydn would be doing.

Starting last weekend, November 2, 2014, with the NYC Marathon I am attempting to complete 52 marathons in 52 calendar weeks.  This blog and our website will have a tentative list of events, and if you would like to meet me at them and talk please do.  Throughout these marathons For Beydn will be fundraising so please continue to check back with us for updates on events and how to support, donate, and spread the word.  This sounds somewhat crazy or impossible, but I will run hard and complete all these races for Beydn who will be with me every step.  Please spread the story of the crazy active duty Soldier who is running and running... and running.  And help us spread the word for Beydn on December 1, 2014 by signing up for Thunderclap to post on your Facebook or Twitter.  If it goes well this will be a tool we’ll use to #forbeydn on his birthday as well.



https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/18650-never-forget

No comments:

Post a Comment